Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur



KL (Kuala Lumpur)


I arrived here in 3:00 AM and was herded off to a cheap hostel. At first I thought I was getting the raw end of the bad deal since EVERYBODY in Thailand wants nothing more than your money (thanks to the gazillion tourists who go there on a monthly basis). To my relief, Malaysians were much more honest than Thais.

KL is just like any other mega-city in Souteast Asia. The traffic here is as crazy as Thailand although they have many more lanes and traffic lights. If your car is bigger than the car on the on coming traffic, you have the right of way.

When I got to KL, I met my father's old friend who I have not seen for 16 years. I recalled he was a skinny man who wore big glasses with a raspy voice caused by years of smoking. Raspy voice was still there but he was now a chubby middle aged man with grey hair. He had the typical mid-level, corporate asian business aura about him that I really found peculiar. (More about this guy in a future post).





KL proudly boasts the world's tallest twin towers called KLCC:





















Also near KL is the famous Batu cave. Hindus from all over the world come to Batu cave during January/February period to mutilate their own bodies in worship of their god Lord Subramaniam. The festival is aptly titled "Thaipusam":



No comments: