Monday, January 8, 2007

Arrival in Bangkok

Finally, after 22+ hours in the economy class seat of Korean Air I am in Bangkok.
For the readers who do not know the background:

1. Me & my friend Igor decided to back pack Southeast Asia about 6 months ago.
2. We are currently in Bangkok.


I always wondered why people got so excited when they were planning a future trip. "I'm travelling to _____. I can't believe I am actually doing it!!" For me, I just wanted to get away from everything. Work, parents, obligations, friends, church, my mind, the somber Vancouver atmosphere. Strangley enough, I never got the excitement. Even when I arrived at Bangkok airport it seemed like I was in the Vancouver airport.

When we eventually left the Bangkok airport (hoping and praying that we don't get ripped off by the public taxi), the excitement started to build up.

We were dropped off at the legendary road 'Th Khao San". Allegely, all backpackers to SEA make pilgrimage here and begin their journey to wherever. At first we were excited to be in a place of such diversity. However, the excitement was soon replaced by disgust as we found out more about 'Th Khao San'. All that was visible to the eyes were farangs (foreigners) with Thai prostitutes and bums who begged for money. Even the street itself was unkept and very dirty.

Needless to say we were tired beyond imagination so we started to look for the next available hostel. After searching for about an hour, we finally found a place for 600 baht ($20). We were glad to end the first day alive and intact.


No comments: