Saturday, January 20, 2007

Ko Tao Island II

Ko Tao....

Our first day on the island was eventful. First we met a very bored but friendly Italian/Thai teenager who was on Ko Tao for a vacation with his mother.













This kid was quite the character. He is an only child who has a father living in Australia and a mother who has a place in Thailand and Australia. Like most only child he was extremely spoiled and very lonely. As soon as I introduced myself and others to him, he followed us around everyday and everywhere. Despite that, I really liked the kid. He reminded me of how I acted when I was his age.

Back to Ko Tao..

The first scuba diving session was quite boring. We were shown a 1:30 hour long DVD of scuba equipment and basics of diving and etc... We were also expected to read a 200 page book and take an exam the following day!! I figured I wouldn't be doing any studying in my vacation but I guess I was wrong.

The following day was our first dive. The exam before the dive turned out to be extremely simple. While we were writing the exam, we joked that we should all get pissed drunk and see if we can actually fail the test. After the exam was over, we put in our scuba gear (tank, regulator, wet suite, mask, fins) and headed to 3 small islands conjoined by strips of white sandy beaches.

When we arrived we drove off the side of the boat and went into the shallow waters. Despite being in the shallow waters, we saw a plethora of fish and other marine life. There were schools of small fish that came and swam near/with us and other small blue fish that nibbled at our legs for bacteria and other microscopic life form.












I am in complete awe/love with this place....

No comments: