Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh Canada..

Back home after 23 hours of flight, 10 hours in transit, and 3 crappy movies.

Things haven't changed much since I took off to SE Asia 2 months ago. Everyone working the same job, everyone with the same blank look on their faces, everyone slaving away for their piece of the "American Dream".

Why do we work the same job that we dislike?

For family? So that they can have the little piece of scrap left of you after you give yourself to the will of your betters for 8 hours?

For Happiness? Every country that I visited in SE Asia as very little middle class. And even though I would claim that the general populace is happier than the average north american, the happiest of the bunch was always found far from "civilization"; far from cities, in the remotest parts of the country with barely any material goods other than a home, food grown from the earth, and the water that either comes down in rain or hauled away from nearby rivers. Same people, same needs, different standards. Their smiles were the most kind, generous, authentic, self giving, audacious, and warm enough to melt the polar ice cap. They are happy by just being happy. Most Canadians I know have to tell themselves that they are happy.

For money? Is money the be all and end-all of our civilization? Must we give up our God given rights in order to make money?

For $24 an hour I gave up my freedom of speech and forgot the fact that I am honest and authentic. I was let go because I called 1 customer who was in fact lazy a "lazy ass". This was on the second day that I arrived in Canada.

I am free.

No comments: